Have you ever browsed through the pages of a Guinness Book? Sure, there are some outstanding achievements to be seen, but there are also some pretty wacky ones. Records that leave you wondering why anyone would even do such things, never mind record them for the world to see.
But some people just want to make their mark in whatever way possible. Scuba diving is no exception, and the world of scuba certainly has some head-turning records. And hey, if you’re not fit or motivated enough to train for any of the more serious records, you may want to consider going for something off the wall. Maybe you can buck one of the current record holders, or maybe these will just give you the inspiration you need to start your own!
So without any further ado, let’s take a look at 5 of the silliest records in scuba diving!
1. Underwater Ironing – Why let that pile of shirts waiting to be ironed keep you from diving when you can just bring them and iron under water. If you wan to break this record, you’ll need at least 72 of your closest dive buddies to come along and iron with you. If that sounds ridiculous, imagine floating up to the scene!
2. Live Under Water – An Australian marine biologist once spent 13 days living under water in a 6-foot capsule. His bicycle riding produced electricity and he urinated on algae to provide air. Does that sound appealing to you? It’ll take a lot of planning and an enormous amount of discipline, but it’s only 14 days of your life, right?
3. Start a Business Under the Sea – Port Vila in Vanuatu is the world’s first and only underwater post office. It’s only open for an hour or two each day, and its primary purpose is to mail waterproof postcards from tourists back home to their friends and family. This record would be the most difficult to break, but if you get the urge, you can always just visit.
4. Underwater Cosmetology? – If you want to break the record for cutting hair under water (yes, there is one), you’ll have to cut 34 people’s hair in one hour. It was a stylist who shattered this record, so be forewarned. The previous record was 11 haircuts in 60 minutes.
5. Underwater Dining – This one sounds easy, right? Well, to beat this record, you’ll have to gather 500 of your closest friends to dine along with you. During this record-breaking dive, guests were served a three-course meal while they were weighted with an 18lb belt. Right now you’re probably wondering how people even eat under water. Well, they all had to take lessons beforehand. It’s not as easy as it looks.